Tuesday 20 August 2013

Rakshabandhan....!!

I was a year old when you arrived
An innocent face filled with mischief revived
You played pranks on me galore
But without you my world was a bore

I was a girl and you were a boy
Yet we boxed each other
When we fought for the same toy
But when someone tried to harm the other
We hit back like a team no other

Years went by and we grew up
Our pranks made way
For secrets we’d never give up
Roles were reversed and you became
My guide and mentor who’d never complain

As I was stepping into a new life
That of a daughter-in-law and a wife
There you were standing by my side
As I was stepping out of our home
Lots of emotions I was trying to overcome
You held my hand as I cried
While your own tears you tried to hide

We went on to live our lives
Juggling our various responsibilities we strive
We may not be able to meet often
But if anything were to happen,  I know
You will always be with me, my Bro’

And each year as I tie Rakhi on your hand
I thank the Lord for Blessing me
With a gift so grand!!

One of the best gifts of the Indian culture is the celebration of a beautiful relationship, that of a brother and a sister. A bond that stands by us throughout our lives – as our Best friend, as our confidante, as a prankster,  as a protector, as our support system through our childhood and adolescence, through our first love and our first heartbreak, through our youth and middle age, someone who knows our strengths and weaknesses and yet continues to be with us unconditionally to guide us and to be guided, to laugh at us and to be laughed at, to help us come out of our mistakes and to hold great pride at our achievements, but more than anything else, to be there with us always...!!

No comments:

Post a Comment